ELIGIBILITY FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS
Do you qualify?
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Students can also register for Free School Meals if they get any of these benefits themselves. Come and talk to us if you’re not sure.
Did you know … just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money?
Register now to make sure we don’t miss out
The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’.
For every child registered Walton le Dale gets about £800 this year.
With each £800 we could buy a new computer, for example. If you are registered for Free School Meals you could also get help with paying for school trips.
Please register as soon as possible to make sure your child and others in their class don’t miss out.
How does it work?
- First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed, so please check.
- Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact Mrs Knight at the school who will advise you.
- If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving you more that £350 a year), extra benefits and the school gets £800 extra. No-one will know your child gets free school meals.
- If you don’t want your child to have the school meals they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify and are registered, the school still gets £800 extra.
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Please talk to us about registering your child today.